Sunday, May 3, 2009

Coddled egg with oatmeal toast

One of my favorite activities is to stop in at antique stores looking for egg coddler cups. They seem to be a pretty elusive item and most of the time I strike out. But I happened to find one in a store on Main Street in Cedar Falls, IA yesterday. Wahoo. That's quite a find.

Check out this little beauty. It is made in England by the Royal Worcester Company. Fitting for a Dutchess.

So now I am all set for breakie tomorrow. Coddled egg with bread sticks made from oatmeal molasses bread.

This morning I quickly find everything I need and set it all out on the counter. Everything is from my stock in the pantry and frig. I love a European styled butter as the butter has a higher percentage of butterfat. If you are going to eat butter, eat the best you can find.

Unless I am using fresh herbs and spices, most of the seasonings I use are from Penzey Spice. I find them so much more flavorful then the little containers from the grocery store.

Taking the coddle cup and using some of the butter to grease the inside, I carefully crack open an egg. I usually wait to add my seasonings to eggs until after they are cooked.

Carefully place the cup into a pan of boiling water. The water in the pan should be to the level of the bottom of the lid on the porcelain cup. Leave the little silver cap off of the cup and instead cover your pan with a lid. Turn the heat down to a simmer and leave it for 6-8 minutes.

The lid from the pan will steam the egg, but by leaving the little egg cup lid off you'll be able to peek and see if your egg is done. Once done, I like to season my eggs with fresh ground pepper, French Fleur De Sel sea salt, and a dash of Fox Point seasoning.

I made the dipping toast by taking a thick slice of homemade oatmeal molasses bread and slicing it into 3 portions. I brushed on some Greek olive oil produced from the Kalamata region and gave a generous sprinkling of Sicilian salad seasoning. Placed it under the broiler for a few minutes to crispen it up.


The final results were a nice mix of seasonings that complimented each other.

There is nothing better to me than a nice coddled egg to start the day.



Enjoy!!!

4 comments:

  1. I do hope her highness, the Dutchess, is enjoying the food, it looks fit for royalty.

    The Greek flavorings sound fantastic, and the rib eyes are just how I like them.

    I like them big, I like them plumpy, plumpy, plumpy.

    Great job. I cyber ate my fill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, T.

    I can't stop laughing.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the previous one, I messed it up.
    I am just wondering who the dutchess is... that what you're calling yer hubby these days...LOL!!! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete