Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Verdict

Yesterday I tested out the new food processor and wanted to report how the Mocha Pecan coffee cake turned out. The texture of the cake was on the dense side, however, there was an awful lot of butter used in this recipe so it was more like a pound cake than a coffee cake. The flavor was very buttery and sweet with just the right amount of chocolate. I think next time a dash or two of cinnamon would be nice. I had one piece of it with a dab of sour cream on top which added a very nice tang against the sweet.

One thing I want to point out, which you might have already noticed from the picie, is the portion size. I've stacked the plates to give you a better idea of how small the plate holding the cake really is. It is smaller than a salad plate.

Now I made the cake in an 8x8 pan and cut each piece into a 1" square. Which I thought was just about right. When I looked at the nutritional contents listed on the recipe each piece has 256 calories per serving. OK, I can live with that. But then I noticed a serving portion was 1/16th of the pan. Folks, that is a 1/2" square. Who the heck eats 1/2" piece of cake. Worse yet, I just gobbled down 512 calories in that coffee cake.

Verdict: I don't need the temptation. Only if I have a house full of guests for breakfast in the morning would I make that again. Now I have to find people to give this away to or it's gonna all end up around my tummy.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment