Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ribeye steak with red wine sauce and Spanakorizo

This evening found me wanting a good steak after viewing a cooking program early that demonstrated a nice peppered steak with a red wine reduction sauce to accompany it. Looked simple and delicious and had everything I needed on hand.

I decided on a nice side dish of Spanakorizo. It's a combination of spinach and rice with nice flavorings of tomato, dill, and onion. It is a dish I remember while growing up and anything that reminds me of my mom makes me feel good. And as a bonus, I figured with both spinach and rice I had the side dish and vegetable covered.

I gathered my ingredients and got busy chopping up the onion. I love my Rada knives for several reasons: they are extremely sharp, hold an edge, made locally and are very reasonably priced.

I chopped up one large onion in to medium to fine pieces and sauteed them in about 1/4-1/3 cup of good Greek olive oil. I selected a very large bottom pan since I would be adding quite a bit of spinach in the next step.

I love how onions get sweet once they've caramelized so I left them alone for a few minutes to begin the process. Once they began to soften and turn golden brown I added in about 12 oz or so of baby spinach.

At first the pan is overflowing with spinach, hence the large bottom pan. Scoop up the onions and mix in to the spinach so they don't become to brown. The spinach will quickly wilt down.


Add 1 tsp of dried dill, or if you are lucky enough to have fresh 1 tbsp, 1 tsp of parsley and some salt and pepper. Next add in 1 tbsp of tomato paste. I use a concentrated tomato paste that has a wonderful robust flavor. One tablespoon adds just enough flavoring to not make it too 'saucy'. Add in 2 cups of broth and 1/2 cup of uncooked, long grain white rice. Don't be afraid to add a good generous portion of salt and pepper. A good quality salt, like Kosher style flake salt, only enhances the other flavors.

Stir and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer on low boil. Cook uncovered until all liquid is absorbed. Be patient. It is done when it is done (roughly 25 minutes).


I like using broth instead of water. I learnt that from my mom that adding broth to rice always gives it some flavor and she was right. I find plain rice very bland.

I found the serving bowl at the same antique shop as the coddle cup. It has a pretty blue lid and is perfect for serving rice, potatoes, or vegetables family style and keeping the food warm while the rest of the meal is being prepared.

While that is cooking you may want to start the red wine reduction sauce. It is so simple. Just a good red wine. I used Shiraz, and some butter and a little cream. Might be a good time for the cook to sample some of the wine, too.

Bring one cup of wine to a boil in a small saucepan. Keep it at a medium boil until reduced down to 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes. Take it off the heat and whisk in 2 tbsp of good salty butter and a splash or two of cream (thanks, ST).

When you are about 15-20 minutes from wanting to serve, start the steaks. I used two ribeyes but fillet Mignon would also be delicious. I tend to choose what is both on special at my grocery store as well as what the general manager at the store tells me is fantastic.

Anyway, generously salt the steak on both sides again using the Kosher style salt. If you haven't already discovered good quality salt, do yourself a favor and get some. Throw away the Morton's type of salt that has the iodine added to it. Tastes like chemicals where as a good Kosher style salt or finishing salt is so much more mild but yet a true salt taste.

Add a generous portion of coarsely ground pepper to both sides of the steak. If you don't have an adjustable pepper grinder, take the whole peppercorns and crush them using the back of a skillet. These steaks were about 3/4" thick.

When I am pan frying I prefer to use a heavy cast iron skillet or enamel coated cast iron skillet. Can't be beat for searing the meat. I added about 2 tbsp of olive oil to a hot skillet and placed the steaks in the oil. I left it alone for 3 minutes each side for medium rare and then removed them to a serving platter and covered with foil while I made up some seasoned bread.

Earlier in the week I had made some homemade hamburger buns and had a few leftover. I hate to waste anything so I found a use for these as well. The buns were nicely shaped and had a sprinkling of both poppy and sesame seeds, garlic powder and Kosher style flake salt. I sliced them open and brushed the tops with olive oil and added a healthy shake or two Sicilian seasoning to each bun half. I so love that stuff. It has the perfect blend for garlic bread. I toasted them in a 400 degree oven for about 5-6 minutes.

When the rolls were toasted I plated the steaks and served up the Spanakorizo. I think it all turned out pretty well. The Dutchess ate mostly the steak and turned her nose up at the spinach. She does not like anything green.


Finished off the evening's meal with a little sweet treat. Homemade vanilla ice cream with a deep dark chocolate sauce made earlier in the week.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment